The following is the agreed complaints procedure to be followed in primary schools
- A parent/guardian who wishes to make a complaint should, firstly approach the class teacher with a view to resolving the complaint
- Where the parent/guardian is unable to resolve the complaint with the class teacher he/she should approach the Principal teacher with a view to resolving it
- If the complaint is still unresolved, the parent/guardian should raise the matter with the Chairperson of the Board of Management with a view to resolving it.
- If the complaint is still unresolved and the parent/guardian wishes to pursue the matter further, he/she should lodge the complaint in writing with the Chairperson of the Board of Management
- The Chairperson will bring the precise nature of the written complaint to the notice of the teacher and seek to resolve the matter between the parties within 5 days of receipt of the written complaint.
- If the complaint is not resolved informally, the Chairperson should, subject to the authorization of the Board:
- supply the teacher with a copy of the written complaint and
- arrange a meeting with the teacher, and where applicable, the Principal with a view to resolving the complaint. Such a meeting should take place within 10 days of receipt of the written complaint.
- If the complaint is still not resolved, the Chairperson should make a formal report to the board within 10 days of the meeting
- If the Board considers that the complaint is not substantiated, the teacher and the complainant should be so informed within 3 days of the Board meeting
- If the Board considers that the complaint is substantiated or that it warrants further investigation, the following steps should be followed:
- The teacher should be supplied with copies of any written evidence in support of the complaint
- He/she should be requested to supply a written response to the complaint to the Board and should be afforded an opportunity to make a presentation to the Board and to be accompanied by another person to that meeting
- The Board may arrange a meeting with the complainant, who may be accompanied by another person to this meeting.
- Following the Board’s investigations, the Chairperson shall convey the decision of the Board in writing to the teacher and the complainant within 5 days of the meeting of the Board. The decision of the Board shall be final.